The Importance of Dental Hygiene
Southern California including Los Angeles, Santa Clarita, Beverly Hills, Valencia and Hollywood, California Dentist
Good dental hygiene is one of those things that we all know is a healthy thing to do, but it is also easy to put it off or simply not take the time to do correctly.
At the Los Angeles dental office of Dr. Dell Goodrick and A Unique Dental Experience,® we understand you have a million things to accomplish every day, but we also care about your health and want to do all we can to help you maintain excellent dental hygiene, so you can preserve your smile for a lifetime.
According to Beverly Hills Dentist, Dr. Goodrick, the American Diabetes Association has identified critical links between gum disease and type 2 diabetes. Over 20 million Americans suffer with diabetes; diabetes can lead to heart disease, blindness, kidney disease, loss of limbs, and even death. It is absolutely imperative to have regular dental check-ups to ensure the health of your teeth, gums and mouth, in general.
Also, expectant mothers should take especially good care of their oral health as it directly affects the health of their babies. Studies have shown that women with periodontal (gum) disease were at greater risk for having babies with a low birth weight or delivering babies pre-term. If you have any questions about pregnancy and oral hygiene, Dr. Goodrick will be happy to answer all of your questions.
Dental Hygiene, Defined
Dental hygiene is basically the combined practice of flossing, brushing and getting regular dental cleanings and checkups, all of which work together to keep your gums and teeth healthy.
The goal of good dental hygiene is to limit the presence of plaque. Plaque is a film of bacteria that sticks to teeth, and if not removed, can cause tooth decay and gum disease.
Why is Dental Hygiene Important?
- Prevents cavities, which can lead to root canals or missing teeth
- Prevents bad breath
- Keeps periodontal disease at bay
- Keeps your smile looking healthy and great, which means you’re more self-confident, too
- May help prevent heart disease, as some studies have found a link between advanced gum disease and heart problems
- May play a role in preventing or detecting some oral cancers (especially when it comes to getting those regular exams)
Basics of Good Dental Hygiene
- Brush your teeth after every meal with fluoride toothpaste.
- Brush for at least two or three minutes every time.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months and after being sick.
- Floss between teeth at least once a day. Read about the importance of flossing here.
- Make an appointment with Dr. Goodrick twice a year, unless you have a condition that requires more frequent exams.
- Eat a balanced, low-sugar and low-acid diet, when possible.
- Do not smoke.
Learn about The Benefits of Flossing vs. Brushing.
No matter how busy life gets, our office team believes that you deserve to take good care of yourself. Plus, our healing, comforting environment gives you one more reason to make your appointments — it’s relaxing!
If it is time to schedule your regular dental exam, please contact the caring staff at Los Angeles dentist Dr. Dell Goodrick today.
Dell Ariel Goodrick, DDS, FAGD
By appointment, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 8:30am - 5pm
and Wednesday 8am - 2pm
Santa Clarita, CA 91321